I regularly get asked how speakers can improve their ability to engage with their audience and hold their attention. Given the number of dull boring and apparently pointless presentations I have had to sit through this is no great surprise, I am often complimented in my ability to quickly engage my audience so today I’ll share with you some of my secrets.
- Set a clear intention.
- Have a clear outcome for the presentation – Know what you want them to do as a result of your talk
- Connect with your audience before you start to speak. Silently welcome them as you scan the room
- Quickly establish “What’s in it for your audience” so that they can see the relevance of your content
- Maintain good eye contact with the whole audience –
- Vary you energy and expression – a monotone delivery will send your audience to sleep
- Turn your presentation into a story or series of stories that communicate your key messages
- Don;t overload them with too much detail – less is more!
That’s it in a nutshell. If you want more detail on any of these steps – just send me an email or ask a question in the comments box below and I’ll be happy to expand on any one of them.